Dear VASP Community and Developers,
I am a new user of VASP and am currently working with VASP version 6.3. I would like to perform electron-phonon coupling (ELPH) calculations for my research system.
Could anyone please guide me on how to set up and execute electron-phonon coupling calculations in VASP 6.3? Additionally, if anyone has tutorials, example input scripts, or resources related to VASP + EPW workflows, I would be very grateful if you could share them.
Thank you for your time and assistance.
Best regards.
Guidance and tutorials for Electron-Phonon Coupling in VASP 6.3 / VASP+EPW
Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator
-
hina_nisar
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:34 am
Guidance and tutorials for Electron-Phonon Coupling in VASP 6.3 / VASP+EPW
-
martin.schlipf
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 657
- Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:18 am
Re: Guidance and tutorials for Electron-Phonon Coupling in VASP 6.3 / VASP+EPW
Electron-phonon interactions are only available starting from VASP.6.5. Please consider upgrading your VASP version.
Martin Schlipf
VASP developer
-
christopher_sheldon1
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm
Re: Guidance and tutorials for Electron-Phonon Coupling in VASP 6.3 / VASP+EPW
Hi Hina,
I thought that I'd add to Martin's response. Electron-phonon coupling was released with version 6.5.0 (this can be found in our release notes: https://vasp.at/wiki/index.php/Changelog). There are some electron-phonon tutorials available in VASP already. You can find them on our website (https://vasp.at/tutorials/latest/electron-phonon/) and there are a few accompanying lectures (renormalization: https://youtu.be/MGJ2VX5ZpkM?si=4S2f4gw-FFnyvE3c, and transport properties: https://youtu.be/xvP_lZPTpAU?si=7Xzxg6SJNEKHZg19). There will be an EPW interface in the near future (https://arxiv.org/abs/2511.21905), though this is not yet in a released version of VASP. We also cover the theory and have a few examples in our electron-phonon category on our wiki (https://vasp.at/wiki/Category:Electron- ... teractions). I hope this helps shed some light on running electron-phonon calculations in VASP.
Best wishes,
Chris