Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.
Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator
-
oliver_conquest
- Newbie

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 am
#1
Post
by oliver_conquest » Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:22 am
Dear VASP,
Not sure this is the right place to ask, I have a couple of questions with regards to the Kernel Truncation method paper (Phys. Rev. B 112, 045409) and the limitation of the method.
1. In Figure 4 of Phys. Rev. B 112, 045409 was the unit cell used to calculate MoS2/MoS2(+1) or a NxNx1 super cell? Also confirming for MoS2(+1) a whole valence electron is removed?
2. For large electron doping of a 2D system like MoS2 is it possible there might be some charge spillage into the vacuum region? I have attached a calculation (GaSe_KT) I performed for GaSe which has -0.25e/f.u. electron doping with the Kernel Truncation method. I find charge spillage/accumulation at the boundary edges of the cell which is in the vacuum region this can be observed in the averaged xy local potential and the charge density. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid this charge spillage (e.g. reduce vacuum size) or is it unavoidable for such large doping?
Many thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Oliver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
christopher_sheldon1
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 163
- Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm
#2
Post
by christopher_sheldon1 » Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:20 am
Dear Oliver,
Thank you for your question. I'll try to clarify.
1) Yes, a unit cell was used, and a whole valence electron was removed.
2) If the xy-averaged potential goes below the Fermi energy, this creates an artificial minimum. I repeated your calculation and found this to be the case. This is the expected solution, though it is non-physical (cf. Phys. Rev. B 85, 045121. In order to fix this, I recommend reducing the amount of negative charge until the potential stays above the Fermi energy.
Does this answer your question?
Best wishes,
Chris
-
oliver_conquest
- Newbie

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 am
#3
Post
by oliver_conquest » Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:18 pm
Dear Chris,
Many thanks for clarifying, all clear!
Kind regards,
Oliver