Graphene absorption spectrum

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

masoud_mansouri2

Graphene absorption spectrum

#1 Post by masoud_mansouri2 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:03 pm

Dear VASP team,
I am going to compute the absorption spectrum of a graphene-like system. To do so, I started with the GW/BSE approach for an ideal graphene. The PBE starting point provides well-known features, and the PBE-G0W0 level gives qualitatively similar results with wider gaps at the Gamma point, e.g. For your reference, I ran this job using the following INCAR and with/without WAVEDER from PBE_unocc calculations.

System = Gr_GW_PBE
ISMEAR = 0 ; SIGMA = 0.05
ISPIN = 2
IVDW = 11
NBANDS = 672
NELM = 1
ALGO = GW0
NOMEGA = 100
LASPH = .TRUE.
LSPECTRAL = .TRUE.
OMEGAMIN= 0.0100

So far everything looks satisfying. However, solving BSE for these GW results leads to zero strength in the optical transitions given in vasprun.xml for both jobs with/without the WAVEDER file. My INCAR file is as follows and the job report says all gone successfully including the read of WFULL*.tmp files, BSE diagonalizing, and reading the WAVEDER when it is available.

System = Gr_BSE_GW_PBE
ISTART = 1
ISMEAR = 0 ; SIGMA = 0.05
ISPIN = 2
IVDW = 11
NBANDS = 672
NBANDSO = 2; NBANDSV = 12
ALGO = BSE
OMEGAMAX = 60
###CSHIFT = 0.1

What have I misunderstood/missed in this last step?
I use vasp 5.4.4, and since the actual system that I want to study is spin-polarized, I run this test calculation with ISPIN=2 and a small smearing.

Regards,
Masoud

christopher_sheldon1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Graphene absorption spectrum

#2 Post by christopher_sheldon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:37 am

Hi Masoud,

Could you provide us with your INCAR, POSCAR, POTCAR, and KPOINTS input files, and OUTCAR and stdout output files, please?

masoud_mansouri2

#3 Post by masoud_mansouri2 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:56 pm

Hello,
I attached those files to this reply. Thanks in advance and regards,
Masoud
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

christopher_sheldon1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by christopher_sheldon1 » Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:38 am

Thank you, we're just trying to repeat your results and will get back to you then.

christopher_sheldon1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by christopher_sheldon1 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:44 pm

Hi Masoud,

Sorry for the slow response, it took a while to get the calculations running. I could obtain non-zero strength for BSE optical transitions, so as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your input files. However, I did significantly reduce the complexity of the calculation. Although you have the computational resources to do large calculations, I would reduce the settings to something cheaper and try to obtain the absorption spectrum, to work out if any setting could be improved. Unfortunately, GW calculations are not straightforward and have many variables that can be changed. I'd recommend reducing the settings and testing each parameter to work out what the most important ones are for your system.

E.g. reducing k-points from 12x12x1 to 6x6x1. This would have the advantage of reducing NBANDS to a much smaller number, which should help with testing suitable settings. Additionally, I would reduce the NBANDS used in the GW calculation while you are struggling to produce an absorption plot. You could try reducing NOMEGA but this doesn't seem to make so large a difference on computational cost. It would also simplify the calculation to do non-spin-polarised calculations, to begin with.

Incidentally, you mentioned that you are using PBE, but in your script it is PBEsol. Is this intentional? It shouldn't make a difference but just for certainty's sake.

I would also consider reducing the vacuum of the POSCAR from ~20 A to ~10 A. By using a large volume, you increase the number of plane waves and this becomes significant for expensive methods like GW.

Have you followed the tutorial for optical absorption? This might be a good place to start.

Best,

Chris