How to create a dummy (or "ghost") atom in VASP

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

xiancai

How to create a dummy (or "ghost") atom in VASP

#1 Post by xiancai » Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:35 pm

Dear VASP developers,

I am wondering whether VASP can create a dummy (or "ghost") atom, i.e., one without electrons / basis sets. This question has been raised in a previous post (forum/viewtopic.php?t=4186), but has not yet been answered. Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Tian Hua

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to create a dummy (or "ghost") atom in VASP

#2 Post by fabien_tran1 » Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Hi,

There is apparently some empty spheres option, but mostly related to the DOS, as discussed at https://vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19412. What would you like to do with empty spheres?

xiancai

#3 Post by xiancai » Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:10 am

Dear Dr. Tran,

Thank you for your reply. However, my calculation is not related to DOS. What I aim to do is directly calculate the solvation free energy of an ion pair in aqueous solutions form first principles molecular dynamics simulations coupled with thermodynamic integration, in which the interactions between the ion pair and water molecules are gradually turned off. Therefore, I need to set the atoms in the ion pair as dummy (or "ghost") atoms. I have noticed that VASP can achieve this when using machine learning force fields (Jinnouchi et al., 2020, Physical Review B 101, 060201); however, on-the-fly MLFF is difficult to apply to aqueous solutions with many elements. I am wondering if dummy (or "ghost") atoms can be created at the DFT level.

Thank you for your time, and I am looking forward to your reply.
Sincerely,
Tian Hua

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by fabien_tran1 » Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:08 am

Hi,

Actually, colleagues told me that there was, in the past, a possibility to have empty spheres (there are a few "empty spheres" in poscar.F). However, this feature has not been maintained and is probably not working anymore.

xiancai

#5 Post by xiancai » Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:00 am

Dear Dr. Tran,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is unfortunate that this feature has not been maintained. From my point of view, dummy (or "ghost") atoms are also useful in many calculations, such as free energy calculations based on thermodynamic integration. I would personally recommend considering the restoration of this feature in a future version of VASP.

Thank you again for your time in addressing my question.
Sincerely,
Tian Hua