magnetic moment is negative

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

enthusiastic

#1 Post by enthusiastic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:40 am

hello dear friends, when i use the ispin = 2, sometimes,the magnetic moment is negative. how can i solve this problem?
thanks a lot
Last edited by enthusiastic on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

forsdan
License Nr.: 173

#2 Post by forsdan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 am

Would you care to elaborate on why you think this is a problem? A magnetization in one or the other direction will still provide the same energy when the system is rotational invariant w.r.t. 180 degrees.

Best regards,
/Dan Fors

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Apr 15 2008, 10:45AM ]</span>
Last edited by forsdan on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

enthusiastic

#3 Post by enthusiastic » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:59 am

thanks for your reply. yes, i know it is not a problem whether it is negative or not. But the fingers of DOS and Bandstructure calculation will be rotated, if mag.mon is negative. And in this way , the fingers are quite confused with the positve ones . I don't not want to waste time on transforming the pictures.can you help me? thanks again.
Last edited by enthusiastic on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

forsdan
License Nr.: 173

#4 Post by forsdan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:28 am

Which magnetic structures are you investigating (FM, AFM, PM, ...) and how do you set your initial magnetic moments?

It should usually be sufficient to specify the initial moments as the final magnetic structure multiplied by 1.2 or 1.5, where initial and final structure have the same symmetry. If the systems your investigating are similiar then the solutions should (at least in most cases) relax to the ground state with the magnetization in the same direction.

Best regards,
/Dan Fors
Last edited by forsdan on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.