normalization electronic density of states

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

ahromero
License Nr.: 558, 5-22

#1 Post by ahromero » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I am a little puzzle on how the electronic density of states is obtained.
As far I know, the integral over the electronic density of states should
be the total number of valence electrons in your system, for Fe3O4 we should
obtain 96 electrons (for the cubic structure) but we are getting something of the order or 81...the value changes if the wigner-seitz radius is changed or if the range of the electronic density of staes (EMIN and EMAX) is changed... is there anything I am missing? am I wrong?

thanks
Last edited by ahromero on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
Prof. Aldo Humberto Romero
CINVESTAV-QUERETARO
Libramiento Norponiente No 2000
Real de Juriquilla
76230 Queretaro, Qro, Mexico

email: aromero@qro.cinvestav.mx
Phone: (52)-442-441 4909
Fax: (52) 442 441 4938
www: www.qro.cinvestav.mx/~aromero

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#2 Post by admin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 am

the TOTAL DOS is normalized as to :
∫ dos(E) dE = the number of electrons (integration is from the bottom of the valence band to the Fermi level).
the local dos is obtained by weighting the DOS with the local charges which are not uniquely defined in all mixed and PW basis set calculations. Moreover, all charge which is distributed over the 'interstitial volume' (volume that is not covered by the spheres around the atoms) is not included in the partial DOS.
--) changes in RWIGS only affect the local DOS
--) changes in EMIN and EMAX should not change the normalization itself, except if the interval was chosen too small (i.e. it has not captured the energy range of the valence states). This is not the case if EMIN and EMAX are not explicitely set , but may of course be the case if given explicitely in INCAR.
--) errors in the integrated total dos may occur if eg the tetrahedron method is used and the BZ volume is insufficiently filled by tetrahedra (eg, if the Gamma point and points at the BZ boundaries are missing in the k-mesh)
Last edited by admin on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.