band decomposed density of degenerate orbitals

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

sf

#1 Post by sf » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi !

I computed a slab with a single atom ontop of it. I computed lm decomposed DOS and I looked at band-decomposed charge densities.

In particular, I computed the bands corresponding to the dxz and the dyz orbitals of the adsorbate. These two orbitals are however degenerate. What happens is that the two densities are similar.

I did the same with the dxy and the dx²-y² orbitals, which are not degenerate and I found an "expected" shape.

So, what occurs with degenerate orbitals ? How is performed the projection of the density on the different orbitals ?

Thanks...
Last edited by sf on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pen2kin

#2 Post by pen2kin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi,

I am also looking at projected LDOS. My question is How did you generate the bond decomposed density?

Thank and best regards.
Last edited by pen2kin on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lcyin
License Nr.: 375

#3 Post by lcyin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:39 am

Hi, pen2kin, please have a look at the manual, chapter "Band decomposed chargedensity " for the parameters you have to set, and how to choose appropriate values: LPARD IBAND,EINT, NBMOD KPUSE, LSEPB . Yes, Admin has replied for this question.
Last edited by lcyin on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.