Can not successfully compile VASP in GPU

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

bhargabkakati

Re: Can not successfully compile VASP in GPU

#16 Post by bhargabkakati » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm

No. I installed only one version of it (the latest version)

bhargabkakati

#17 Post by bhargabkakati » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 pm

No. Unfortunately I don't have access to an older version. Do i need to install one? and how will that effect my already compiled codes such as QE
Last edited by bhargabkakati on Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhargabkakati

#18 Post by bhargabkakati » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 am

update :

Even though I am not able to execute test run using the vasp_ncl compiled using "makefile.include.nvhpc_omp_acc", I was able to successfully compile vasp with "makefile.include.nvhpc_ompi_mkl_omp_acc". But it is not very sped up. Even the CPU version compiled with "makefile.include.nvhpc_ompi_mkl_omp" runs 6-7 times faster (in 8 cores) than the GPU version. Is there any reason for that? or am I making some mistakes? Here I have attached the INCAR, POSCAR, KPOINTS, POTCAR and OUTCAR, and OSZICAR of both CPU and GPU runs.
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by fabien_tran1 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm

Ok, it seems that you could compile the code on the GPU. There are several reasons that may explain a disappointing performance:

1) Your GPU model is RTX A6000, which is not among the recommended ones because it does not offer fast double-precision floating-point arithmetic (FP64) performance (see https://www.vasp.at/wiki/index.php/Open ... rt_of_VASP). Your model is described at https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rtx-a6000.c3686 where "FP64 (double): 604.8 GFLOPS (1:64)" means that double-precision operations are 64 times slower than in single precision. A good GPU should have a "(1:2)" ratio (double slower than single by a factor 2). See also discussion at https://www.vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19500#p26214

2) The benefit of running on a GPU depends on the calculation: size of the cell, method, used options, etc. You should make timing comparisons on various types of systems.

bhargabkakati

#20 Post by bhargabkakati » Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 am

hello, thank you for the relevant information.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#21 Post by fabien_tran1 » Wed May 01, 2024 7:16 am

I have run your calculation (iron with spin-orbit coupling) on a machine with a GPU (NVIDIA A30) that has a fast double-precision floating-point arithmetic FP64. Similar as for you, the calculation on the GPU is much slower (by roughly 5 times) than on the CPU with 8 cores. So, this particular calculation is not a good case to show the power of VASP on GPU.

bhargabkakati

#22 Post by bhargabkakati » Thu May 02, 2024 5:11 am

Thank you for sharing this information. Currently I am running different calculations on CPU and GPU to set up a benchmark, and so far, my CPU has been 2-3 times faster than my GPU.
CPU - Intel® Xeon(R) w9-3475X × 72 (hyperthreading on)
Last edited by bhargabkakati on Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.