Default MLFF hyperparameter values discrepancy between vasp 6.4 and 6.4.2

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

dylan_durkee

Default MLFF hyperparameter values discrepancy between vasp 6.4 and 6.4.2

#1 Post by dylan_durkee » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:54 pm

Hello all,

I was hoping to get clarification on what the default values for MLFF hyperparameters should be.

I noticed when running an MLFF training using vasp 6.4.0, and without explicitly setting any values for the various hyperparameters, some of the values for the hyperparameters as written in the ML_LOGFILE are different than the default values stated on the vasp wiki. For example, ML_RCUT1 default should be 8 angstrom according to the vasp wiki, but in the ML_LOGFILE it is written as 5 angstrom whenever I do not explicitly define the value in the INCAR file for the calculation.

I also tested this similar calculation - doing an MLFF training without explicitly setting hyperparameter values in the INCAR file - using vasp version 6.4.2 instead, and found agreement between the hyperparameter values written to the ML_LOGFILE and the default values stated on the vasp wiki. Maybe this was an issue in the earlier version then?

I attached a zip containing input and standard output and ML_LOGFILE files for each calculation (6.4.0 and 6.4.2).

Thank you,
Dylan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

svijay
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Default MLFF hyperparameter values discrepancy between vasp 6.4 and 6.4.2

#2 Post by svijay » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:02 pm

Hello Dylan,

Looking back at the vasp-wiki, the default value for ML_RCUT1 has changed. Previously (see here for vasp-wiki on 8 April 2022: https://www.vasp.at/wiki/index.php?titl ... ldid=16650) the default value was 5 Angstroms. As you mentioned, the current default is 8 Angstroms (which also tallies with version 6.4.2).

Sudarshan

dylan_durkee

Re: Default MLFF hyperparameter values discrepancy between vasp 6.4 and 6.4.2

#3 Post by dylan_durkee » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:30 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification!