large oscillator strength but small imaginary dielectric function

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

awang95

large oscillator strength but small imaginary dielectric function

#1 Post by awang95 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 am

Hi,

I have computed the following spectra, but I'm wondering, specifically for the peak around 1000 nm, how it's possible to have such a large oscillator strength when the absorption coefficient (as given by the imaginary dielectric function) is small as shown. I have some ideas in my mind but am really not sure (does the oscillator strength include IR transitions while the imaginary dielectric function only includes electronic transitions?) - any help or thoughts on this would be really appreciated; also attached are the relevant job files

thanks!
pic.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

svijay
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: large oscillator strength but small imaginary dielectric function

#2 Post by svijay » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:55 am

Dear awang95,

Please provide relevant output files (such as the OUTCAR) in accordance with the forum posting guidelines here: https://www.vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17928. It would also be beneficial if you could provide a simple script that you use to plot the quantities in your plot from the relevant output files; thank you!

Sudarshan

awang95

Re: large oscillator strength but small imaginary dielectric function

#3 Post by awang95 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:07 am

sorry about that - here are the missing files that are also relevant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.