HSE06 calculation doesn't start

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

william_watson

HSE06 calculation doesn't start

#1 Post by william_watson » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:38 pm

Hi,

I am using the HSE06 hybrid functional on uranium mononitride bulk structure and the simulation hangs before the first electronic step - this doesn't change over a 24 hour period in the simulations that I have tested. I have attached all the input files as well as the OUTCAR and OSZICAR. I have no experience with hybrids (only GGAs and meta-GGAs) and I am still stuck even after reading the manual and other forum posts so your guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Will
UN_HSE06.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HSE06 calculation doesn't start

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:31 am

Dear william_watson,

I was able to start your calculation and run some SCF steps before it crashed using VASP 6.4.1. I am not sure at this point that this is due to the choice of functional and suspect that is related to the use of the Damped algorithm. I will look further into this issue, but meanwhile I suggest that you read about the NELMDL and Direct optimization, as these two seem very important for calculations involving metals.

Kind regards,
Pedro Melo