MDALGO in INCAR for AIMD

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

exk301

MDALGO in INCAR for AIMD

#1 Post by exk301 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:38 pm

Hello!

I was just wondering if it's normal that I don't see MDALGO setting when I grep it in OUTCAR?
For example, if i type 'grep MDALGO OUTCAR' it doesn't show me anything.

This is the INCAR file I'm using for my simulation :

#elecronic degrees of freedom
ENCUT = 400
PRECT = Normal
ALGO = Fast
LREAL = A
ISMEAR = 0
SIGMA = 0.1
EDIFF = 1E-05
EDIFFG = -0.05
IVDW = 12

#technical flags, update when changing number of cores
NELM = 600
#NELMIN = 6
LCHARG = .FALSE.
LWAVE = .FALSE.
#NWRITE = 0

#MD
MDALGO = 1
ISYM = 0
POTIM = 0.25 # 3 femtoseconds
ANDERSEN_PROB = 0.1
IBRION = 0
ISIF = 2
NSW = 3000
TEBEG = 1000 # start temperature
TEEND = 1000 # Final temperature
SMASS = 1 #Canonical (Nose-Ahoover) thermostat

Thank you very much!!

marie-therese.huebsch

Re: MDALGO in INCAR for AIMD

#2 Post by marie-therese.huebsch » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:37 am

Hi,

No, it is not normal. There should be two places: once at the beginning of OUTCAR when the INCAR is read and once below the heading "MD-specific parameters".

If you need further help, please add the input and main output files. It is best if you replace the system with a smaller system so that we can reproduce the issue without much computational effort.

Marie-Therese

exk301

#3 Post by exk301 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:14 pm

Hi Marie,

I'm attaching the example calculation with input/output files here. I don't see any MD parameters in my OUTCARA file so i 'm afraid if my MD did not run.

Thank you for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marie-therese.huebsch

#4 Post by marie-therese.huebsch » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:42 am

Hi,

I see that there is no information about MDALGO in your OUTCAR file, and in fact, the whole section starting with "INCAR:" is empty. From your OUTCAR, I see 73 ionic steps, so it seems your MD simulation ran. REPORT is the main output file for an MD run. In the INCAR, you specified NSW=60000, so it seems your calculation was terminated prematurely. You may actually consider splitting your calculation into smaller parts. 60000 is rather high.

I have started the same INCAR file with the latest version of VASP and see MDALGO = 1 printed twice to the OUTCAR file. As you are using a very old version of VASP (vasp.5.4.4), I haven't tried to reproduce it with that version. I hope you understand we cannot offer full support for such an old version. You may consider getting the latest version of VASP.

Marie-Therese