free energy in MD simulation

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

Emerald

#1 Post by Emerald » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi all,

When I read the output (OUTCAR, e.g.) of the MD calculations (IBRION=0), I am not sure about the definition of the free energy right here. It says :
-----------------------------------------------
FREE ENERGIE OF THE ION-ELECTRON SYSTEM
free energy TOTEN = ***** eV
-----------------------------------------------

But does it only include the electron free energy or all free energies like anharmonic phonon-phonon interactions? I guess the total energy VASP will calculate include everything, but how about entropy, because F=U-TS
Not quite sure about this. Is there anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks,
Emerald
Last edited by Emerald on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#2 Post by admin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:01 pm

the free energy in MD runs includes the internal energy U, the electronic contribution to S (temperature-related -broadening), ETOTAL includes the kinetic energy in addition. Phonon contributions are NOT included, as they are not calculated in an MD run (please have a look at the settings of IBRION to calculate vibrations/phonons in particular).
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irea_mosqueralois

Re: free energy in MD simulation

#3 Post by irea_mosqueralois » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:38 am

Hi!

Thanks for the clarification here. Not sure if I've missed it, but I think it might be worth mentioning in one of the MLFF wiki pages that the regressed energy (stored in ML_AB) includes the electronic entropy term. At least I originally thought it was the potential energy (e.g. "energy(sigma->0) =") and only realised it was the free energy ("free energy TOTEN") when observing a systematic energy error in the MLFF validation and inspecting the ML_ABN and OUTCAR files.
Last edited by irea_mosqueralois on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.