Hi,
I am computing electronic conductivity (ELPH_MODE = TRANSPORT, SERTA) of a system with VASP and phelel. I used the phelel workflow (displaced supercells → phelel_params.hdf5 → VASP transport run).
For the relaxed structure, the phonons computed from the force constants in phelel_params.hdf5 are all real, except the acoustic modes at Gamma, which come out slightly negative (about -0.006 THz). Without ELPH_IGNORE_IMAG_PHONONS, VASP stops transport calculation with an imaginary-frequency error. With ELPH_IGNORE_IMAG_PHONONS = .TRUE., the run completes.
I have two questions about what the tag does:
1) When a q-point has an imaginary frequency, does VASP skip the entire q-point (all phonon branches and all k -> k+q scattering processes with that q), or only the imaginary mode(s) at that q-point?
2) What criterion does VASP use to classify a frequency as imaginary? Is it strictly omega^2 < 0, or is there a numerical tolerance below which small negative values are still accepted?
Thank you!
Saranya

