Compilation Errors in VASP: "Missing format label"

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

stephane_buttigieg

Compilation Errors in VASP: "Missing format label"

#1 Post by stephane_buttigieg » Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently attempting to compile the VASP software on my system, and I am running into several errors during the process. The command I am using for compilation is:

mpif90 -fopenmp -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-none -w -ffpe-summary=none -march=native -fallow-argument-mismatch -O2 -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -c ml_asa2.f90

However, I receive multiple error messages related to missing format labels in the Fortran source files. Here are some of the errors I am encountering:

ml_ff_tutor.F:201:15:
201 | formattedMessage = formatter%formatMessage(headerBug // whereInCode // message // footerBug)
Error: Missing format label at (1)
This error occurs for several lines across different files, including:
tutor.F:281:15
ml_ff_tutor.F:201:15
ml_ff_tutor.F:230:15
tutor.F:310:15

The compilation fails due to "Missing format label" errors in the Fortran files.
These errors seem to stem from the use of the formatter%formatMessage function, where the expected format labels are not being provided.

What does the "Missing format label" error mean, and how can I resolve it?
Are there specific formatting conventions I should follow for using the formatter%formatMessage function?
Are there any dependencies or prerequisites that I might be missing that could lead to these errors?
I would appreciate any insights or solutions to help me overcome these compilation issues.

Thank you for your assistance!

jonathan_lahnsteiner2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Compilation Errors in VASP: "Missing format label"

#2 Post by jonathan_lahnsteiner2 » Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Dear Stephane Buttigieg,

When compiling vasp please follow the instructions on the vasp wiki
Installing VASP.6.X.X.
You should copy a makefile.include from the arch directory. The makefile.include should correspond to the tool chain which you are planning to use.

If you need further advice please let me know which tool chain (compiler, what mpi and which math libraries) you are going to use and what makefile.include you took.

All the best Jonathan