Up to what stresses can PBE / R2SCAN results be trusted?

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

matthewkuner

Up to what stresses can PBE / R2SCAN results be trusted?

#1 Post by matthewkuner » Mon May 06, 2024 10:46 pm

As a general rule (i.e. for applying to most/all of the periodic table), above what stress does the frozen core approximation start to significantly affect the accuracy of a VASP calculation? Does this depend on the external pressure, or individual components of the stress tensor? And I assume that this only noteworthy for high pressures (i.e. highly compressed systems)--let me know if that assumption is incorrect. Thanks in advance!

jonathan_lahnsteiner2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Up to what stresses can PBE / R2SCAN results be trusted?

#2 Post by jonathan_lahnsteiner2 » Tue May 07, 2024 4:21 pm

Dear matthewkuner,

This question cannot be answered in general because the answer will strongly depend on the material under consideration. You could compare your vasp PAW results to an all-electron calculation to be sure that the frozen core approximation is still applicable under the stress of interest.

You are right in your assumption that the applicability of the frozen core approximation will depend on the external pressure since it will decrease the volume of your simulation box. The applied external pressure will also influence the individual components of the stress tensor. And yes this will only be noteworthy for high external pressures.

Maybe there will be some user in the user-for-users forum who has more insight into this topic.

All the best

Jonathan