Inquiry Regarding Band Gap Calculations of CsPbBr3

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

rishikanta_m

Inquiry Regarding Band Gap Calculations of CsPbBr3

#1 Post by rishikanta_m » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:21 am

Hi,

I am currently conducting a study on the band gap of mixed terminated slabs of CsPbBr3 (CsBr and PbBr2 terminated). However, I have encountered an unexpected result in my calculations. Despite both CsBr and PbBr2 terminated slabs having non-zero band gaps, the mixed terminated slab appears to exhibit a metallic band gap.

Upon examining the band structure diagram, it seems that the gap has shifted downwards. I am unsure if this observation is a result of an error in my calculations or if it is a genuine characteristic of the mixed terminated slab.

I would greatly appreciate your insights on this matter. Could there be a specific reason why the mixed terminated slab shows a zero band gap while the CsBr and PbBr2 terminated slabs have non-zero band gaps? Is it possible that the specific arrangement of atoms in the mixed terminated slab could be causing a change in the electronic structure of the material, leading to an overlap of the valence and conduction bands?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andreas.singraber
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Inquiry Regarding Band Gap Calculations of CsPbBr3

#2 Post by andreas.singraber » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:33 am

Hello!

I had a look at your input files and I could not find any issues. Unfortunately, I am not expert on surfaces and slabs so I do not know the answer to your question. Since it is a very application-driven issue and not directly a question about VASP I moved this topic into the "From Users for Users" section. Maybe another user has more experience and is willing to share their insight.

All the best,
Andreas Singraber