Proper workflow for an HSE06 calculation including SOC

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

hatedark1

Proper workflow for an HSE06 calculation including SOC

#1 Post by hatedark1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:31 pm

Dear fellows,

I would like to know the proper workflow for an HSE06 calculation including SOC. I thought of three possible ways:

1) Perform a GGA calculation without SOC (vasp_std). Use the WAVECAR file from the GGA calculation without SOC to perform an HSE06 calculation without SOC (vasp_std). Use the WAVECAR file from the HSE06 calculation without SOC to perform an HSE06 calculation with SOC (vasp_ncl);

2) Perform a GGA calculation without SOC (vasp_std). Use the WAVECAR file from the GGA calculation without SOC to perform an HSE06 calculation with SOC (vasp_ncl);

3) Perform a GGA calculation with SOC (vasp_ncl). Use the WAVECAR file from the GGA calculation with SOC to perform an HSE06 calculation with SOC (vasp_ncl).

Are they all correct? Which one is more appropriate?

Best regards,
Lira.

merzuk.kaltak
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Proper workflow for an HSE06 calculation including SOC

#2 Post by merzuk.kaltak » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:12 am

Dear Lira,

in principle all three workflows are correct and if properly converged to the same magnetic orientation would give you the same result.
Workflow 2 might be the fastest one, followed by 3.
Workflow 1 would be good choice if you have convergence issues with the other workflows.

hatedark1

Re: Proper workflow for an HSE06 calculation including SOC

#3 Post by hatedark1 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:15 pm

Dear Merzuk,

Thank you for the reply. I will try the different approaches and see which one runs best for my materials and machines.

Best Regards,
Lira.