gamma-only calculation shows HOMO/LUMO at a different location of the 1st BZ?

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

awang95

gamma-only calculation shows HOMO/LUMO at a different location of the 1st BZ?

#1 Post by awang95 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi,

I did a static calculation of graphite at the gamma point, and when I tried to plot the wavefunctions of the HOMO and LUMO bands, I get the pi and pi*, which makes sense from a chemistry perspective. However, looking at the band structure of graphite (https://journals.aps.org/prb/pdf/10.110 ... .69.245419, Fig 2), at the gamma point the VBM and CBM are sigma-type, which makes me confused...if we're only doing the calculation at the gamma point how does it produce a HOMO and a LUMO that should be reflected at the M or L points of the 1st BZ?

Attached is also a figure to illustrate what I mean

thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: gamma-only calculation shows HOMO/LUMO at a different location of the 1st BZ?

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:43 am

Dear awang95,

Thank you for using VASP. However, as we do not provide support for scientific questions I have moved your question to the "From Users for Users" topic.

Do note that the Gamma only version projects your wave functions and Hamiltonian only at Gamma point. While it is good for molecules, for solids I would suggest to try the standard version of VASP and compare those results with literature.

Kind regards,
Pedro Melo