Undefined symbol: .TIMING (on Hitachi SR11000)

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

rudy.coquet
License Nr.: 472

#1 Post by rudy.coquet » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:38 am

I am trying to compile VASP 4.6 on Hitachi SR11000 but I came across two errors:

1) "/usr/bin/sh: .f.o:: not found": I deleted ".f. o." in the makefile to solve this. Is that safe? This error happened during the compilation.

2) "ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .TIMING" and other undefined symbols like .DCOPY, .ZCOPY, etc.
The function name "timing" is defined in vasp.4.lib/timing.c and if I edit the file to change "void timing" to "void TIMING", the error about .TIMING being undefined disappears. I guess I could find all the files where functions are defined and then change from minor to upper case but it's not that easy to find them all. Is there a C processor option to deal with that problem? This error happens at the end of the compilation, during linking with ld and when all my *.o files have been created.

Thank you very much for your help, I'd greatly appreciate. There was a similar post regarding this kind of error on SR8000 (http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-forum/ ... .php?2.791)
But I couldn't find any clear answer. I have also started from the makefiles posted on this same forum by wyxsdu (http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-forum/ ... .php?2.679)

Best regards,
Rudy Coquet.
Last edited by rudy.coquet on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjf

#2 Post by tjf » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 am

Your C and Fortran compilers don't play well together.

C is case sensitive. Fortran isn't. The linker should take care of this when mixing languages, but apparently isn't in your case. You need to find documentation for how to do mixed language linking correctly using your compilers/linker. I suspect it will be an option to ld (which appears to be called by your Fortran compiler), though it may be options to one or both of your compilers.
Last edited by tjf on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.