compilation error for xml.f90

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

sudhakar

#1 Post by sudhakar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:35 pm

hi,

I was trying to compile the mpi version of vasp using mpich2. The compiler used by mpif90 was ifort.

When I type make the compilation aborts at the xml.f90 file. I have given below the exact command being run at the time of crash and error message.

The command being run at the time of crash:

mpif90 -f90=ifort -FR -lowercase -assume byterecl -O2 -axW -tpp6 -c xml.f90

Error message:
fortcom: Severe: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

But I have been able to circumvent around this problem by manually compiling the xml.f90 file (compiles perfectly fine) at the command line as

ifort -FR -lowercase -assume byterecl -O2 -axW -tpp6 -c xml.f90

If I do this and type "make" again the compilation continues further w/o any problems.

My question really is: by using this tweak to compile mpivasp will there be any problems in my results ? Also what exactly does the xml.f90 file do ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by sudhakar on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjf

#2 Post by tjf » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 pm

My advice in these sorts of situations is simple: suck it and see! If it works, it works.

Otherwise you need to see what mpif90's doing that's different. Maybe it has a -showme option.

At a guess, I'd say xml.f90 has code to write the XML file!
Last edited by tjf on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.