wrong Spin multiplicity result

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

min_gao

wrong Spin multiplicity result

#1 Post by min_gao » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 am

Hi, my question is why a system with odd number of electron can give a singlet state?
Is there a way to solve this incorrect result?

I did both tests for two system with odd number of electrons Co atom and Co complex.
・VASP gave a correct result for Co atom with mag= 3.00, while gave an unreasonable result for Co complex with mag= 0.00
・It is surprisingly that Nupdown = 0, 2, 4 (which is definitely unreasonable for odd number of electrons ) works for both of these two system
・Someone mentioned that is due to size of PAW sphere, especially in a delocalized system. Does anyone can give more detailed information
One set for INCAR, OUTCAR and OSZICAR is attached.

Thank you in Advance,
Min
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: wrong Spin multiplicity result

#2 Post by fabien_tran1 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:47 am

Hi,

A few things:

-When an atom is not isolated but surrounded by other atoms it may acquire or loose electrons depending on the type of the surrounding atoms.

-In the case of a finite system like an atom or molecule, it is indeed not possible to obtain a singlet state if the number of electrons is odd. However, in the case of a periodic system the number of electrons is infinite such that "odd" and "even" have no meaning.

-Still, it may be that the magnetic state that is obtained by DFT is not the correct one. DFT is an approximate method and the used exchange-correlation functional may not be the most appropriate one for the system under consideration.

min_gao

#3 Post by min_gao » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:46 am

Dear fabien_tran1,

Thank you for you reply.
I can understand the situation that you mentioned.

I would like to change my question to the following
"why Nupdown = 0, 2, 4 works for an isolated system/atom (non-periodic system) with an odd number of electrons?"

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by fabien_tran1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:08 am

Hi,

What do you mean with "Nupdown"? Is Nupdown = Nup - Ndown?

min_gao

#5 Post by min_gao » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:47 am

yes, Nupdown is an option in INCAR.
Nupdown = number of spin-up electron minus spin-down electrons
Nupdown = 0 means singlet, 2 is triplet
As my system have odd number of electrons, it means Nupdown should be 1, 3, 5 ....
while vasp can give a result with Nupdown = 0, which is an unreasonable result....

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by fabien_tran1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:24 am

Ok, I see. I did not know this tag NUPDOWN that fixes Nup-Ndown if specified. Indeed, for an isolated Co atom NUPDOWN=0, 2 or 4 may look strange, but this is technically still possible since the orbitals are allowed to be partially occupied (the occupations are given towards the end of OUTCAR, search for "k-point"). If the calculation is done without fixing NUPDOWN, then the spin moment for an isolated Co atom comes naturally (with PBE) as 3.

Besides, doing a calculation with a fixed spin moment NUPDOWN is quite unusual, I would say.