How we can obtain the entropy (TS) and the potential value (U) to get Gibbs free energy

Questions will be moved to this forum when we consider them out of scope for support from our side: for instance when we do not have the necessary expertise to come up with an answer.
Another user still might, though!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

manoj_wijesingha

How we can obtain the entropy (TS) and the potential value (U) to get Gibbs free energy

#1 Post by manoj_wijesingha » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:22 am

Hello Colleagues,
I need to apply the Computational Hydrogen Electrode (CHE) model for the electroreductions. Therefore, I should calculate the Gibbs free energy by using this equation, G = E + ZPE - TS + U. E is DFT energy of the calculation, and we can get ZPE from the frequency calculations (sum of all the energy of all modes (minus 3 for translation)).

I have two questions regarding this:
The first one is that how we can calculate the entropy, TS, by using the frequency calculation output data, and can I apply this equation to compute the TS values, T*S = R * ∑[ν * ln(ν/T)], v- the vibrational frequency, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin?

The other one is how we can get the value for the potential, U, to calculate the Gibbs energy.

I have attached a file of all vibrational frequency modes, and could you please explain for me to calculate the entropy and the potential with details by using this file.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alex
License Nr.: 5-67

Re: How we can obtain the entropy (TS) and the potential value (U) to get Gibbs free energy

#2 Post by alex » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:38 am

Hi,

the U in your equation is the internal energy of your system as defined by the first law of thermodynamics. Nothing to do with potential(s).

Cheers,

alex

manoj_wijesingha

Re: How we can obtain the entropy (TS) and the potential value (U) to get Gibbs free energy

#3 Post by manoj_wijesingha » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Hi Alex,
Thank you for your response. So, how can I calculate internal energy (U) of the system, for example CO2 reduction,
CO2 + 2(H+ + e-) ---> CO + H2O ?
How can I get T*S value after frequency calculation for CO2 reduction (I had attached a file of all frequency modes, could you please explain using this file)?
Further, I did not change the temperature to room temperature (298.15 K or 300 K) for the frequency calculations (I use the default value, TEBEG = 0.0; TEEND = 0.0). Should I change the temperature in the INCAR file (TEBEG = 298.15; TEEND = 298.15) because of entropy calculation (T*S)?
Thank you.

marie-therese.huebsch

#4 Post by marie-therese.huebsch » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 am

Hi,
It is not so trivial to compute Gibb's free energy. I think you need an advanced molecular dynamics method. Have a look at this lecture: Advanced methods of molecular dynamics | VASP Lecture.

I hope an experienced user will help you out 🤞

Marie-Therese

alex

#5 Post by alex » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:50 am

Hello again,

if it comes to understanding the quantities you are after I found 'Thermochemistry in Gaussian' by Joseph W. Ochterski, https://gaussian.com/thermo/ very instructive. Beware, you have different number of degree of freedoms with solids.

How to get from a frequency calculation to S and G?
Nowadays I'd go for Phonopy or similar software as suggested by info/resource/

Hth, alex

manoj_wijesingha

#6 Post by manoj_wijesingha » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:36 pm

Hi Experts,
Thank you so much, and appreciate you guys, Alex and Marie. I use phonopy for phonon calculation, and we can get the entropy by phonopy. However, I needed after frequency calculation by VASP, how we can use frequency values to calculate entropy (TS) except phonopy. One more thing, can we use vaspkit to get ZPE and entropy (T*S)? I have attached a file regarding this.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alex

#7 Post by alex » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:44 am

If you want to get deep into that, read the book by Wilson, Decious and Cross. ;-)

manoj_wijesingha

#8 Post by manoj_wijesingha » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:48 pm

Thank you Alex.