Which of the following is the more optimal method to determine crystal structures?

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

Leon1999526

Which of the following is the more optimal method to determine crystal structures?

#1 Post by Leon1999526 » Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 am

Hello, I have a question about determining the crystal structure of materials.
I have read many papers in which VASP is used for computation of crystal structure, and the structures are identified through the following process: First, Birch-Murnaghan equation is used to determine cell volume, and then parameters determining the ionic positions in the lattice is adjusted to find the structure of lowest energy. I think IBRION=2 and ISIF=3 can also do the same thing but it seems to be less frequently used than the method I mentioned previously. Does ionic relaxation have any significant disadvantage at determining the optimal crystal structure than the other method?

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which of the following is the more optimal method to determine crystal structures?

#2 Post by martin.schlipf » Tue May 30, 2023 8:25 am

The more parameters you optimize at the same time, the harder it gets to relax to the global minimum. It can be more robust to relax volume, shape, and ionic positions separately but then you potentially need multiple iterations until everything is converged. For simple systems using ISIF = 3 should be fine.

Leon1999526

Re: Which of the following is the more optimal method to determine crystal structures?

#3 Post by Leon1999526 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:55 pm

Thanks. It seems that my system requires multiple steps of convergence.