System don't Relax

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

kazeej

System don't Relax

#1 Post by kazeej » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:52 am

Hi,
I am running some DFT calculations on multi-component rare earth phosphates like (Lu0.5Sc0.5PO4). My system has failed to relax at all times I tried. What could be the reason for this?

Thanks.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: System don't Relax

#2 Post by fabien_tran1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:04 pm

Hi,

Please, read the guidelines:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17928

You need to provide the files POSCAR and INCAR so that we can figure out what is the problem.

kazeej

#3 Post by kazeej » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:50 am

Hello,

I have read from your suggestions but I still could not find a solution. I have attached my input files to this message.

Thanks.
POCC.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by fabien_tran1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:38 am

What do you mean with "system don't relax"? Is your calculation not running at all? Is it crashing? Is it not converging or very slowly? Is the output file OUTCAR generated?

kazeej

#5 Post by kazeej » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 am

It is not converging. Or I would say it's taking lots of time. Jobs only run for 6 hours on our cluster and it doesn't converge within this time frame.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by fabien_tran1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:55 pm

I have run your calculation and I can see that many SCF iterations (about 700) are required to reach convergence just for the initial geometry. At Category:Density_mixing there is some short explanation about mixing for convergence. Also, you may get some help from the forum by searching for the term "mixing".

Besides, I also recommend you to get more acquainted with VASP by running calculations on simpler systems as "exercises". This will also give you a better idea of the size of the systems that you can consider with your cluster.