Energy of spin spiral compared to ferromagnetic state

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

aleeds

Energy of spin spiral compared to ferromagnetic state

#1 Post by aleeds » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 pm

What is the correct way to compare the energy of a calculation with LSPIRAL=.TRUE. to one with LSPIRAL=.FALSE. and ferromagnetic order?

If I set the q-vector of the spiral to zero (QSPIRAL= 0.0 0.0 0.0) I expect to find the above energy difference to be zero in the case without spin-orbit coupling (SOC) and it should be half the anisotropy energy in the case with SOC. Even after making sure calculations have the same number of k-points, same NBANDS, ENINI and ENCUT, and thus the same number of plane waves, the energy differences are not correct. What are the correct settings to make sure these energy differences turn out correct?

merzuk.kaltak
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Energy of spin spiral compared to ferromagnetic state

#2 Post by merzuk.kaltak » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 am

Could you provide more data, i.e. input and output files as described in the guidelines?

aleeds

Re: Energy of spin spiral compared to ferromagnetic state

#3 Post by aleeds » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:25 pm

I attach files for two calculations without spin-orbit coupling, the q=0 spin spiral (LSPIRAL=.TRUE.) and the ferromagnetic calculation (LSPIRAL=.FALSE.).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.