Fermi energy estimation

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

geng

Fermi energy estimation

#1 Post by geng » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:20 am

I have a question about the Fermi energy. The Fermi energy given by the VASP is not correct. Could anyone let me know how to estimate the real fermi energy from OUTCAR or elsewhere? Is there any correction I should use to get the correct value? Thanks.

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fermi energy estimation

#2 Post by martin.schlipf » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:07 am

What do you mean by "the Fermi energy is not correct"? While the Fermi energy obviously depends on the smearing you use, it is defined such that the sum over all occupied states times the corresponding weight equals to the number of electrons.

geng

#3 Post by geng » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:04 pm

You know, the Fermi energy calculated by VASP is positive (the number given by DOSCAR), but the correct value should be negative at 0K. So, I wanna know if there is any way to estimate the correct Fermi energy.

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by martin.schlipf » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:57 am

Absolute eigenvalues of DFT are not really meaningful and by extension that is also true for the absolute value of the Fermi energy. The more interesting quantities for almost all applications is the relative value of the eigenvalues. For which application would you even need the absolute value of the Fermi energy?