LDIPOL activation for charged slab

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

kazem_zhour

LDIPOL activation for charged slab

#1 Post by kazem_zhour » Mon May 02, 2022 1:32 pm

Dear support,

I am studying the adsorption of molecule on charged slab (of course LDIPOL need to be activated in this case). When I consider the neutral slab, VASP finish the job without any error, but when I move to my charged slab by just decreasing NELECT and not changing anything else in the INCAR, the calculations stopped from the beginning with an error announcing that "LDIPOL = .TRUE. must be selected only for cubic supercell". Even though I am using for the charged slab the same POSCAR I used for the neutral slab!
It would be great if you can provide me with some advices that can help me to solve this problem. Thanks for considering this issue, and I’ll wait to hear from you.

Sincerely

Kazem

andreas.singraber
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LDIPOL activation for charged slab

#2 Post by andreas.singraber » Wed May 04, 2022 8:40 am

Dear Kazem,

welcome to the VASP forum! Could you please attach your input and output files according to the forum posting guidelines.

Thank you!

Best,
Andreas Singraber

kazem_zhour

#3 Post by kazem_zhour » Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 pm

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your replay. Kindly find attached the needed files.

Best,
Kazem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kazem_zhour

#4 Post by kazem_zhour » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:01 pm

I am still interested in knowing the answer of this issue please.

andreas.singraber
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by andreas.singraber » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:26 pm

Dear Kazem,

I'm sorry that your question was not answered yet, I will have a look at it...

Best,
Andreas

andreas.singraber
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by andreas.singraber » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Dear Kazem,

I had a look at your problem and it seems that LDIPOL = .TRUE. for charged systems is only implemented for cubic supercells. There is also a note on the Wiki page saying:
Restrictions: For charged systems, the potential correction is currently only implemented for cubic supercells. VASP will stop if the supercell is not cubic and LDIPOL=.TRUE.
Maybe you could try to make the box cubic.. currently the lattice vector pointing out of the slab has a length of 30 Angstrom. The in-plane lattice vectors have a length of about 17.8 A. If you decrease the vacuum thickness a bit (so that you still do not have an effect from periodicity) while at the same time extending the slab in the other two directions you may be able to get a cubic box. Then, the LDIPOL feature should work... I hope that is a feasible option for you?

All the best,
Andreas Singraber