Test suite when VASP is compiled using Intel 2020.1.217

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

john_low1

Test suite when VASP is compiled using Intel 2020.1.217

#1 Post by john_low1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm

I have found that the 2018 toolchain has numerical issues with instruction sets newer than AVX2. I am using Intel 2020.1.217 for this build. I have found that VASP built with this toolset fails on tests involving the Andersen thermostat in the VASP test-suite. I have listed them below.

andersen_nve_constrain_fixed andersen_nve_constrain_fixed_MDALGO=11 andersen_nve_constrain_fixed_MDALGO=11_RPR andersen_nve_constrain_fixed_RPR andersen_nve_fixed andersen_nve_fixed_MDALGO=11 andersen_nve_fixed_MDALGO=11_RPR andersen_nve_fixed_RPR andersen_nvt_fixed andersen_nvt_fixed_MDALGO=11 andersen_nvt_fixed_MDALGO=11_RPR andersen_nvt_fixed_RPR

John Low
Argonne National Laboratory

henrique_miranda
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Test suite when VASP is compiled using Intel 2020.1.217

#2 Post by henrique_miranda » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:58 am

This post was originally made on a different thread:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17952

This is a different question so I made a new thread.
Could you please post the log file with the exact error that you got in this run?

roger_amos1

Re: Test suite when VASP is compiled using Intel 2020.1.217

#3 Post by roger_amos1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 pm

I have also come across this problem in vasp.6.2.0 (and vasp6.1.2) It is due to the use of xHost in the standard makefiles.

The attached two outputs were run on a large Intel SkyLake cluster at the Australian National University.
They used Intel compilers and libraries 2020.0.166 which is one of the 'verified' toolchains.
The standard makefile.include makefile.include.linux_intel_omp was used.

The output labelled 'fail' was from a program build with -xHost, as in the supplied files.
The output labelled 'correct' was build without using xHost.
The job example is andersen_nve_constrain_fixed from the test suite, but all jobs with andersen+fixed fail the same way, using xHost, but work without.
If you want someone more specific, they fail if AVX512 instructions are requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.